A summary of the epidemiological situation of measles in North Macedonia
In the period 06.04-12.04.2019, a total of 126 cases of measles (laboratory confirmed or related to the epidemiological link) were reported.
Out of the total number of newly reported cases, 57 cases are from Skopje, with 70% of them incomplete vaccinated, unvaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
The remaining 69 patients are from 10 other cities in North Macedonia:
- from Kumanovo 22 cases were reported, of which 90% were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
- Struga – 12 cases, of which 66.7% were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
- Tetovo – 10 cases, of which 7 were unvaccinated, or incomplete vaccinated
- Three cases were reported from Veles and Prilep. From Veles – two were unvaccinated and one vaccinated with two doses. One from Prilep – one is unvaccinated and two vaccinated with two doses;
- One case was reported from Gostivar (not vaccinated), from Kriva Palanka (incomplete vaccinated), from Strumica (not vaccinated) and from Ohrid (completely vaccinated).
In total, since the onset of the epidemic in Skopje in December 2018 as of 12.04.2019, 961 measles cases were registered in the Republic of North Macedonia, of which 682 were epidemiologically related and reported in the epidemic in Skopje.
According to the place of permanent living, measles cases were registered in 20 towns in N.Macedonia, of which 613 were from Skopje, 79 from Tetovo, 93 from Kumanovo, 50 from Struga, 31 from Kicevo, 18 cases in Gevgelija, 17 Debar, 16 from Gostivar and Veles, 6 from Prilep, 4 from Kocani and Shtip, and in sporadic cases in the other 8 cities. The highest incidence of 100,000 inhabitants is registered in Struga (73.7 / 100.00), Skopje (99.2 / 100.000), Debar (61.3 / 100.000), Kumanovo (65.2/100.00) .
During this week, the epidemic of measles are currently active in six health regions (Skopje, Tetovo, Kumanovo, Gevgelija, Kicevo and Struga).
The largest number of cases are from the age group over 30 years, 412 or 42.9% of the total. High percentage of patients is also registered in the age group of 0-4 years with 34.4% of the total number of cases (n = 331).
Out of 166 children aged 1-4 years, 150 or 90.4% were unvaccinated or with unknown vaccine status, and from 545 patients in persons over 20 years of age, 67.5% (n = 368) were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status.
Out of the total number of 961 registered cases of measles, the highest number and percentage – 398 or 41.4% are laboratory confirmed, 257 or 26.7% are epidemiologically linked, while 306 cases (31.8%) are measles with clinical features.
From the beginning of the epidemic, in Skopje, the total number of vaccinated people under 14 years of age who are subject to first or second vaccination is 11,919 children. In the rest of the republic, from the beginning of the epidemic, the total number of vaccinated people up to 14 years of age with a first or second dose is 7542 children.
The total number of immunized people aged 14 years with MRI vaccine, since the beginning of the epidemic is 19461.