Methods for direct parasitological diagnosis
a) Evidence of parasites in clinical samples
– Faeces of cysts and vegetative forms of protozoa and helminth eggs (native preparation and concentrative method)
– Faeces for coccidia (Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, Isospora) differential staining
– Cellophane smear of Enterobius vermicularis
– Native and cellophane smear preparation Demodex
– Genital swabs from women ejaculate, urine, urethral swabs from men Trichomonas vaginalis (native preparation, cultivation)
– Biopsy and punktats of bodies tissue parasites (native, differential staining)
– Detection of parasites in the body fluids and secretions (native, differential staining, miracidijski test)
– Peripheral blood smear and a thick drop of blood – tissue protozoa Plasmodium
– Cultivation of protozoa (Trihomonas, Entamoeba histolytica, free zhiveechki amoebas – Acanthamoeba, Naegleria)
– Macroscopic and microscopic determination of helminths and their parts and determination of arthropods.
b) Evidence of a parasite antigen
- Entamoeba histolytica in faeces (IHA; IC)
- Cryptosporidium spp. in feces (IC)
- Giardia lamblia in faeces (IC)
- Plasmodium falciparum (IC)
- Chlamydia trachomatis (DIF; IC)
- Plasmodium (EIA; IC; pLDH and pHRP antigen)
c) Parasitological serology (proof of antibodies in serum of the patient)
- Bruceloza (IHA; AG; ELISA IgG / IgM)
- Echinococcus (IHA; RVK; IC)
- Leishmania donovani (EIA; IIF IgG / IgM; IC)
Abbreviations: ELISA – imunoenzimski test; IHA – indirect haemagglutination; DIF – direct immunofluorescence microscopy; IIF – indirect immunofluorescence microscopy; AG – agglutination; RVK – reaction of binding of complement; EIA – imunoenzimic test; IC – immunoassay test.
d) Laboratory of Parasitology perform parasitological review of water in order to protect public health and the environment.
f) Laboratory of Parasitology perform parasitological examinations of persons under the legal regulations are subject to health surveillance (people who come from countries where there is epidemiological risk for certain diseases and sanitary inspections of persons employed in the production and circulation of nutrients and water ) for preventing parasitic diseases.
f) Within the program objectives, the laboratory takes an active part in the fight against brucellosis, performing serological tests for brucellosis and confirmation of all positive findings.
Head of the Laboratory of Parasitology
Specialist in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
Contact Phone: 070 285 481
Hours: Monday – Friday 07³ ° – 14³ ° h
Publication of results: Monday – Friday 07³ ° – 14³ ° h