Current situation in Macedonia
In the period from 29.12 – 04.01.2019, 12 new cases of measles were registered, of which 7 are laboratory confirmed.
Due to the occurrence of an increased number of measles cases registered for a short period of time on the territory of the city of Skopje, as well as the emergence of new cases from several municipalities for which an epidemiological link can not be established, CPH Skopje reported a measles epidemic in the territory of Skopje on 02.01.2018.
From laboratory-confirmed cases in the last week, 6 are children aged 8 months to 4 years, and one is at age 32, and according to the vaccine status none is vaccinated against measles. All were hospitalized at the Clinic for Infectious Diseases and Febrile Conditions in Skopje.
The epidemiological services in Skopje undertake activities and measures regarding detection of contacts, checking the vaccine status and their vaccination in accordance with the sub-regulation act, Guideline and the Immunization Calendar.
From 01.01.2018 to 04.01.2019, in the Republic of Macedonia were registered 69 cases of measles. The largest number (n = 36) of the registered cases are residents in the territory of CPH Skopje, and 25 persons are from the territory of PE Debar, 4 are from Kumanovo, two are from Ohrid, and one case is from Tetovo and Struga. The age of the diseased varies from 5 months to 59 years, 46.4% of the diseased are children aged up to 4 years, and 37.7% are over the age of 30 years.
Most of the patients (24) were registered in July, when a measles epidemic was reported on the territory of PE Debar. Individual cases were registered in September and October. In December, 16 people were affected.
On a weekly basis, the largest number of patients were registered in the 30th and 52nd week (n = 8).
Of the total number of cases, 58 or 84% were laboratory confirmed. From the laboratory confirmed cases, 86.2% were unvaccinated, incomplete vaccinated or with unknown vaccine status, while 8 people were vaccinated with two doses.
Recommended measures and activities
To extend the implementation of the previously adopted measures and activities on the entire territory of the City of Skopje
- To carry out vaccination in the territory of the city of Skopje with MRI vaccine for all non-vaccinated or incomplete vaccinated children aged 6 months to 14 years, in accordance with the Rulebook and the Immunization Calendar;
- To check the vaccine status of all persons aged 15 to 45 years who have been in direct contact (familial or other) with the already ill persons, and if they are unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated against measles or have not had the disease, they should be called in Skopje and immediately vaccinated.
- In pre-schools on the territory of the City of Skopje, children who are not vaccinated with MRI vaccine during the measles epidemic, and the SSHI will exercise control over the implementation of this measure.
Continue the implementation of measures and activities on the territory of the whole country
- Continue with intensified epidemiological surveillance of febrile rashes on the territory of the city of Skopje and the whole country;
- Vaccine teams from all vaccine sites in the country, in collaboration with patronage nurses, to make the vaccine cards for childbearing to be eligible for vaccination for children under 14 years of age, and vaccinated vaccinated and incomplete immunizations should be immediately called and vaccinated, in accordance with the Rulebook and Immunization calendar;
- CPH / PE Epidemiological Services in collaboration with SSHI to continue to strengthen the control of the vaccine sites, check the vaccine status of the subjects of the MRP from 12 months to 14 years (for first and second dose), finding vaccinated and incomplete vaccinated persons ;
- Keep a regular record of the number of vaccinated persons from the eligible MRP vaccine (unvaccinated and incompletely vaccinated) and to inform the CPH / IPH on a weekly basis.
On the territory of the whole country:
- Vaccine teams from all vaccine sites in the country, in collaboration with patronage nurses, to make the vaccine cards for childbearing to be eligible for vaccination for children under 14 years of age, and vaccinated and incomplete immunizations should be immediately called and vaccinated in accordance with the Guideline and the Calendar for immunization;
- CPH / RO Epidemiological Services in collaboration with State Sanitary and Health Inspectorate to continue to strengthen the control of the vaccine sites, check the vaccine status of the subjects of the MRP (for the first and second dose), from 12 months to 14 years, finding unvaccinated and incompletely vaccinated persons;
- All primary doctors should check the vaccine status of all children under 14 years of age and all vaccinated and unvaccinated for vaccination;
- The CPH, in cooperation with the IPH, to conduct educational and promotional activities related to the prevention of measles, ie emphasizing the vaccination as the only preventive measure for the protection of the health of children.